Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Living Wish!

I'm a fan of cards from the older sets that were around when I first started playing back in the days of Revised. As such, I love cards from Unlimited, Arabian Nights, Legends, and Antiquities.

That being said, as I was building the cube I wanted to make sure to include some of my old favorite cards. One favorite that I came across is the fabled Ring of Ma-Ruf and I thought it would be a really exciting cube card. However, this card is a bit overpriced so I said to myself "Why not try the Wish cards instead?" It turns out Living Wish was the only good one... It's actually a solid card that is extremely exciting. So now I'll explain how we treat Living wish in the cube.

If you include Living Wish in your cube-draft deck:

1. At the beginning of each match you get a new face-down stack of 50 random cards from the cube that were not part of the current draft. This is your "wish stack" for the duration of the match.

2. When you cast Living Wish you get to look at the wish stack and choose any legal target. (Creature or Land)

3. At the end of each game, replace the card you wished for back into the wish stack.

4. At the end of each match, the wish stack is returned to the cube.

It turns out that Living Wish is a very powerful card because it can find answers to certain situations that you hadn't even planned for.

There are always excellent targets -- 50 cards is a lot to choose from. It's even more cards than are in your entire 40-card draft deck! Also, we don't have a time-limit for how long you have to pick the card, but usually it is done within 2 minutes.

The best part is you get that exciting "outside-the-game" feeling because it's not like tournament magic where you're just "tutoring" from your sideboard. You're actually getting a card that you didn't think you'd be playing with when the draft finished.

For anyone looking for a new way to spice up the cube with a fun and powerful effect, I highly recommend trying Living Wish.